Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Modern Medicine...Epic Fail

Since Giovanni was born, he has been having an array of feeding issues. First was his inability to latch which led to weight loss and to him being dehydrated which ultimately landed him back into the hospital. After working with three different lactation consultants he was still unable to latch but it was discovered by lactation consultant #3 that he had a 3rd degree tongue-tie and a 3rd degree upper lip tie. That was corrected a day before he turned 4 weeks old through a laser procedure. Although he was now able to latch, he had absolutely no interest in the breast and would throw himself backwards and scream when put to the breast, so I decided that we would continue bottle feeding him breast milk. From the very beginning, he has always choked on his bottles. Over the past couple of weeks, it seems to be getting progressively worse. Last night he choked for so long that I ended up having to flip him over and essentially preform the Himlich on him. I was seconds away from calling 911 when he arched his back, took a deep breath, and started screaming. That did it for me. I was done.

This morning I called his pediatrician and told her what had happened and how I am just not comfortable letting this continue. She was hoping it was just reflux as she started him on Zantac last week when he was seen in her office. She has now increased his dose but thinks that it is time for him to have an upper GI study done. She will be setting this test up through the medical center tomorrow as they have pediatric radiologists that specialize in this type of stuff. Essentially he would go into the hospital where they would give him a bottle of Barium and take pictures as he drinks it. It is a fairly straightforward and easy test, I just dread the havoc the Barium will cause on his poor digestive system.

On top of all this I have been dealing with some issues of my own. The first thing has been an investigation of a lump that was found in my right breast. Three weeks ago when I was diagnosed with Mastitis the doctor found a lump that was documented as Mastitis related. Fastforward to last week when I noticed that the lump was still there. I called my GYN and after feeling it for herself, she suggested an ultrasound just to make sure it was nothing. Today I went for that ultrasound and luckily it was nothing. There was no solid mass seen on the scan so it is nothing more than a blocked milk duct or remenents of the Mastitis. The other issue that I have been having is all this bleeding that I am dealing with. I am 7 weeks postpartum and I am still bleeding as heavily as I was the day that I gave birth. After having several epsiodes where I was pretty sure that I was going to pass out, I decided that it was time to call the MFMs. Unfortunalty the NP that I usually deal with was off so I was forced to talk to the other one. She told me that it was no big deal and completely normal. Not all that comforatable with her answer, I decdided to email the other NP to let her know what was going on. She agreed that it was time to get an ultrasound just to take a peek at things. I was able to get that done today at the same time that I had the breast lump checked. That scan, however, did not turn out so great. Since I had my pelvic scan done first, and had to pump in between, the radiologist had time to read it. Even though they really aren't supposed to say anything, the tech confirmed that there was "something there" and when I asked her if it was placental tissue, she said "let's just say that I will see you for a follow-up scan once they dust things out". Since my MFM's office is not 'in-network" with this imaging location, the will snail mail the results to them. I did call the MFM office to ask them to get the report but I am thinking that I won't get any answers from them until next week. Their priority is high risk OB patients, not me. I decided to call my GYN to let her know what was going on. She said that this needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. She told me that if I start to feel or worse or if I start running a fever, that I need to go right to the ER. She said that she will have the report tomorrow and will call me so we can come up with a plan. Apparently it looks like there is yet another D&C in my future. I keep telling myself that maybe they looked at someone else's report but I think that is just me being in denial. I am a bit worried why this "something" is still in there, especially after all of the bleeding I have had. I am a bit worried that this is a piece of placenta that grew deep into the uterus and it is still growing and has its own blood supply. Hopefully this is not the case and removal will be fast and easy. This shit never seems to end...

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear... I'm very sorry to hear these updates, although at least the lump in your breast wasn't anything more serious. I hope everything gets resolved soon, and without any ER visits for either one of you! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this totally sucks. I am hoping you're ok. I am reading this a few days after this post and wondering what the results were for you and if you had to have a D&C. God I hope not! Hoping you get over this "hump" very soon and can start chillaxing more with your baby! hugs, jen

    ReplyDelete