Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Another Stay at the Ritz

I know that it has been a week since I updated my blog but the shit hit the fan again. I went in Thursday for my weekly appointment and things didn't go exactly as planned. I had noticed that Giovanni wasn't his usual active self. During my NST he only had two accelerations and that is the absolute minimum to pass. He normally has 7+ during every NST so I was a bit concerned. I then had my BPP where the tech noted that he wasn't moving too much and he also never had an episode of his practice breathing. At this point I started to freak out. The MFM came in and told me that while things are technically "acceptable", he could see how anxious I was and offered me a visit to L&D or a return visit on Friday. I chose the return visit.

Later that evening I noticed that Giovanni was moving a bit but it was still diminished. I knew that his most active period (1am) was coming up so I would wait until then to start panicking. 1am rolled around and nothing. 2am still nothing. At this point I got out my doppler just to listen. He had a beautiful heartbeat so I relaxed a bit. I managed to fall asleep around 6am but woke up two hours later in a panic. I went downstairs and had breakfast and he still wasn't moving. At this point I decided to head to my doctors a bit early as I just felt as though something was wrong. As soon as I sat down to check in with the receptionist I could no longer control my tears. I told her why I was there and she immediately went and got the ultrasound tech. When the ultrasound started the first thing I looked for was the heart. It was beating and had a great rhythm. She then measured my AFI. It was a 12 which is normal but was down from an 18 the day before. Since the measurement is so objective I really wasn't worried. The tech then started to focus on movement and breathing. This is when I knew something wasn't right. He had minimal movement and no breathing. After 30 minutes of observing, the tech went and got the Chief MFM. He took over and was trying to get Giovanni to move and breath. He did neither. The MFM explained to me that one of the first signs that something is going wrong is that the baby doesn't do practice breathing. He then sat there very quietly for a minute and then said "I think you need to go". I responded "to be monitored or to deliver". He was very quite again and I could tell that he was processing everything. He then told me that he wanted to have me closely monitored and he is not going to hesitate to deliver me. I am now sobbing again as I just wanted my little boy to be okay. As I am walking out to get into my car, I called my husband to let him know what was going on and that he needed to come to the hospital. Luckily the hospital is right across the street from my doctor so the trip was short.

I spent 16 hours in L&D being monitored. Giovanni started to perk up that evening so the panic level dropped. At 1:30am they came in to do a Pitocin Contraction Stress Test to see how he responded to contractions. I was terrified of this as I have heard that Pitocin is awful. They started the test using 1ml/hr and then they doubled it every 20 minutes as they needed me to have 3 contractions in 10 minutes. The nurse said that people usually respond once the dose reaches 8ml/hr as they usually induce people using between 10-20ml/hr. Apparently I am not the norm. After no response at 8ml/hr it got increased to 16. Nothing. The nurse came in to increase it to 32 and that is when the contractions came out of no where. I can't even begin to describe how horrific the pain was. The pain was mostly in my back. It felt like my kidneys were going to blow apart. I had the need to get on all fours to help with the pain but I couldn't move as they had me attached to the monitor. As soon as I hit three contractions the nurse turned off the Pitocin. The contractions continued for another 20 minutes or so and then subsided. At 6am the nurse came in to let me know that they were moving me out of L&D to the antepartum wing. I was so happy to hear this as I knew that I wasn't going to deliver anytime soon. Giovanni performed perfectly on the Pitocin test.

To make a long story short, they monitored me over the weekend and everything continued to look good. Monday morning the MFM came in and gave me a few options. She knew that I was very anxious and scared about something happening, so she gave me the option to stay in the hospital until I had Giovanni or go home with three times weekly appointments at their office with NSTs and BPPs. After much contemplation, I decided to go home. She gave me specific instructions and told me to return if anything feels off. He is moving great today and I feel a bit more at ease. I go tomorrow and Friday for my appointments this weeks so I am hoping that things remain the same.

Since I am 34 weeks today (I still can't believe that I made it this far) I figured that I would do my usual weekly post, but an abbreviated verision since this post is already getting long.

How Far Along: 34 Weeks

Size of Baby: This week the "average" baby is measuring approximately 17.72 inches crown to heel and is weighing in around 4.73 pounds. I had a growth scan this past Thursday and Giovanni was up to 5.1 pounds and in the 72nd percentile. He is now measuring 2 weeks ahead. His head, however, is measuring 3 weeks ahead.


Belly:


  
Stretch Marks: One new one popped up. Oh well, I am more concerned about having a big healthy baby then I am about my vanity.

Best Moment of the Week:  Installing the car seat. My husband and I did this yesterday evening after I got discharged from the hospital. Very exciting!   

What I'm Looking Forward to: Delivering a nice, big, healthy baby. 

Nursery: Ugh!! The rocker for the nursery was supposed to be delivered this past Friday. PBK called last Wednesday to inform me that they "misplaced" my rocker so they had to cancel the delivery. They told me that a dock search would take 48 hours and that they would call back by Monday to reschedule. After not hearing anything, I called them Monday evening to see what was going on. They informed me that they were unable to locate the rocker. What?? How the hell do you lose a massive rocker?!?! After yelling at them for 10 minutes, they informed that their only option is to reorder it. I told them that I ordered this rocker back on May 8th and I don't want to wait another 2 1/2 months. They then informed that it would be more like 3 months as they are estimating the middle of October. I told them that this was unacceptable. They then gave me a discount of $215 and told me that they would contact the vendor to see if they could expedite it. The only other option I had was to cancel the entire order and and I didn't want to do this as I am in love with this chair. I figured that I probably wouldn't use it all that much the first couple of months anyway so I accepted their offer. This rocker is going to be the death of me!!!    

Milestones: Making it to 34 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. 34 weeks is so good! But no time is a good time to be worrying about decreased movement. I'm glad they are paying close attention to you. Just keep listening to your spidey sense. Keeping you close in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible scary experience. I hope he stays safe and healthy.
    I also had to stay at hospital a few days (and I also compared it to a hotel) for high blood pressure, and then pretty much bed rest after that. And I made it to the scheduled date.:)
    Thinking of you.Surviveandthrive.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary! I hope all is continuing well now.

    ReplyDelete