Sunday, June 10, 2012

Steroid Update

I just wanted to post a quick update as I received a ton of emails checking on me to make sure everything is okay. Love you guys!!

I went in Friday afternoon to get my second steroid shot and when the nurse came in, I completely lost it. I told her how distraught I was after my appointment on Thursday and I feel like I walked out of there with no answers. She had the MFM covering clinic that day come in to talk to me. He didn't seem thrilled that nothing was done considering I had a cervical length of 8mm the day prior. He told me that I should just go right over to the hospital as that was probably the best place for me. I asked him to reevaluate my cervix before making that decision as I really don't want to sit in the hospital if I don't have to. I asked him about my concerns regarding dilation and he said that since my cervix is flush with the vaginal wall, it is very difficult to tell and he didn't want to do another manual exam as I have had two yeast infections in the past four weeks. He decided that the best way to assess things was to do another ultrasound. Luckily for me, the Chief MFM was covering ultrasound that afternoon. As he was doing the ultrasound, he explained to me that it is very difficult to visualize my cervix and that the wand must be in a precise position to get a good picture. He was getting measurements between 1.7cm and 2cm...a far cry from 8mm the day before. He then applied pressure to see how the contractions affected my cervix and the measurement went down to 1.3cm. He explained that it could in fact have been 8mm yesterday but there was no way to know for sure. With the measurements that he got coupled with the fact that I completed the steroid shots, he decided that it was okay for me to go home. I need to stay within an hour from the medical center and I need to keep my husband close by just in case. He mentioned that in a couple of weeks we will talk about doing another round of steroids, so at least he is thinking that we will get that far. At this point it is so hard to know what is going to happen. With my cervix being so short, I could go into labor any minute. I could also be one of those people who's cervix is next to nothing but ends up needing to be induced in the end. There is no crystal ball that will give me the answers so I just need to take things day by day. As much as I don't want to go into labor now, I know that I am in an excellent spot if I do. Giovanni is perfectly healthy, is measuring over a week ahead, and has no other challenges working against him. I still have a feeling that they are going to have to dig him out as he seems pretty cozy in the same position week after week, so hopefully we will have to evict him at some point.

3 comments:

  1. This may not come out the way it sounds in my head- but I sincerely hope you end up needing to be induced!! You're doing a great job so far! This whole incompetent cervix/bedrest/constant worry and panic gig is nothing to shake a stick at and you are handling it with such grace and aplomb!! Wish I could say I pull it off as well as you, but even on my second go-round I'm a miserable, cranky, b-word!!

    Best of luck! You are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Krystyn! You're almost to the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so well! You've been amazing through all this and I'm hoping little guy stays snug for awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete