Thursday, May 17, 2012

Holding My Breath

Today was my dreaded weekly appointment with my MFMs. Since my cervix was measuring pretty good (2.8cm) last Thursday, I was feeling pretty optimistic about this appointment. As usual the baby looked great and was uncooperative with the ultrasound. I can't remember the last time we got a nice shot of the baby. Our baby apparently is a contortionist who loves to bury its head into the placenta. The ultrasound tech today said that if this continues that we may want to cancel our elective 3D/4D ultrasound that we have on the 31st. She tried to convert over to 3D just to see but there was no way that she would see anything. As usual the MFM came in to measure my cervix and unfortunately my cervix is back down. It was measuring 1.6cm and had extensive funneling. Not what I wanted to hear. The plan is to just keep an eye on things for now. I can only hope that it stays stable. If not, back in the hospital I go.

I then met with the other MFM for my appointment. They changed my pessary yet again as they were concerned that it was too big. I guess this type of thing is trial and error, but I really wish we could figure it out as having that thing constantly yanked out and then shoved back in is not the most pleasant experience. We also talked about the timing of the steroid shots. Obviously we want to hold off as long as possible but we need to make sure that we don't wait too long. She said that we would take this issue one week at a time. At this point, this whole ordeal is a waiting game. I don't deal well with the unknowns, but at this point I really don't have a choice. Like I did with the fertility treatments, I need to realize that I can't control the outcome of things, and there is no way of knowing what the end result will be. This lack of control is probably the most difficult thing for me to deal with, and I hide my anxiety well using my humor, but what choice do I have? Unfortunately there is no crystal ball to tell me how things are going to go. All I can do is sit back, relax, and take things day by day.


  1. Why is it that they're holding back on the steroid shots? All the literature I've read, and the information from my high-risk OB states that the shots only need to be given once and that the results are "good" for the remainder of the pregnancy. The only thing I've found that detracts from having the shots given earlier is that some docs were giving several shots over several weeks, and that was causing growth issues.

    I'm sure you've discussed this all with your MFM- I'm just curious (nosy) is all!!

    1. Actually Betamethasone is most effective 24 hours after the shot is administered and lasts (maximum effectiveness) up to 7 days. My MFM also said that they can only be given twice during the pregnancy so the timing of these shots are crucial. I actually just went on my university's site and accessed a bunch of journal articles on Betamethasone and some research says that it should only be given once, 24-48 before birth. I guess it probably all depends on the Perinatologist.

  2. Oh I am so sorry to hear that your cervix is shorter and funneling again! Not what you wanted to hear at all!!!

    Sending holding, staying put vibes for you and baby.