Saturday, November 5, 2011

Busy Few Days

Sorry I haven't updated in a while but these past few days have been absolutely crazy. Wednesday I went for my pre-op at the hospital and then I met with the surgeon. The surgeon said that as long as I don't have any signs of endometriosis that I probably will only end up needing two incisions. If they do find endo, it is likely that I will have four. I am not the least bit concerned with the incisions considering I have a 10 inch scar running down my sternum from previous surgery. I am more worried about the pain from the gas that they fill you with. I was told to expect some sharp "heart attack" type pains in my shoulder and neck. It was suggested that I pick up some peppermint tea to help with this. They also said that the best thing that you can do for this is to walk around. The other thing that is freaking me out a bit is the thought of ending up with major pelvic spasms again. After my bladder surgery this happened and it caused my bladder to shut down leading me to be catheterized for almost seven weeks. I also had pretty intense spasms after my uterine septum resection in April and they ended up keeping me for 8 hours to get them under control. I just want this surgery to be simple and without any complications. On Thursday I went for my cancer screening/counseling at New York Oncology Hematology. I met with two oncologists for about an hour. We went over my personal cancer history and also that of my family. They urged me to have the screening done so I did. They said that it will take about two to three weeks for the results to come back at which time they will call me and schedule a follow up appointment. I am not sure what to expect but I am hoping that everything comes back negative.

Friday was my husband's appointment with the cardiac surgeon. As expected he recommended surgery. Originally surgery was only needed on the left atrium but now the doctor feels that it is going to be a bit more extensive given this development of the ventricular tachycardia. The surgeon said that the procedure would take four to five hours and would require him to stay a few days in the hospital. I was a bit surprised to hear this but apparently even someone who has a quadruple bypass now only stays in the hospital for 3-4 days. We decided not to make any snap decisions while at the appointment so we asked that surgeon if we could go home and discuss this over the weekend. He had no problem with this and said that it was not emergent at all and we could take all of the time we need to decide. I personally want him to do it as I don't want to see him end up with a problem down the road that can't be fixed. He is nervous about doing it but is enticed by the thought of coming off all of his cardiac medications. The medications make him very tired and he just doesn't feel great on them especially considering they just doubled his dose. I am hoping that we will come to some sort of decision within the next few days, but we just need to be sure that we are making the right decision.    

No comments:

Post a Comment