Saturday, October 29, 2011

What A Nightmare

These past couple of days have sucked to say the least. Let's start with Thursday. That was the day that my husband and I had to get our blood drawn so that it could be sent to three different labs for Dr. Braverman. When we first got to the clinic the dry ice had not yet arrived so we had to wait for FedEx to deliver it. The blood tubes themselves had been delivered the day before so I was armed with those. About an hour and a half later the dry ice arrived so we were able to start the blood draw. My husband went first as he only needed six tubes drawn. I, on the other hand, needed 16. I am a difficult stick when it comes to drawing blood or starting IVs so I was tagged teamed by two nurses at once. Since my veins kept collapsing, they ended up sticking me a total of 5 times. After we got the bloods going to the labs on the west coast all packed up, we put the remaining tubes into a biohazard bag. I was responsible for the shipping them to the lab in Chicago so I had to bring the tubes to FedEx and ship them out myself. Since I was already going, I offered to bring the two boxes for the other labs to FedEx so my clinic didn't have to worry about it. We headed back home as there is a Kinko's near my home so I figured that I could just drop it there. When we got there the girl gladly took the 2 packaged items but told me that I had to drive to another location, about 40 minutes away, to ship out the other tubes as they have special packing material at that location. My husband and I reluctantly got back in the car and drove to this other FedEx location. When I walked up to the counter the guy looked at me and said that those needed to be packaged up. I told him that is why we were there and the other location had sent us to him. He said that they do not have the correct material to package it, in fact, no local FedEx had the proper shipping material and that I needed to go to a lab to get the shipping materials. I was absolutely livid at this point. After I calmed down, my husband came up with a plan. We drove to a Staples and bought packing peanuts, a padded envelope, a box, and shipping tape. We packaged it up and brought it to the main UPS center as I didn't want to deal with FedEx anymore. We were never asked what the package contained so $120 later, the remaining bloods were on their way.

Around 4am Friday morning I woke up as I had quite a bit of pain under my left arm. I figured it was razor burn so I went back to sleep. When I woke up a few hours later I noticed that I had a large lesion on my left side and noticed two other small ones on my stomach. I didn't think much of it so I got dressed and it was business as usual. Later that afternoon I decided to take a peek at the lesions to see if they were gone. Not only were they not gone, there were about a dozen more. On my way home I stopped at a local urgent care and asked them to just take a look at my rash. By this time I had about 2 dozen lesions covering my chest and stomach. After everybody and their brother came into the room to look at my lesions, they diagnosed me with Pityriasis Rosea, which is a weird skin condition associated with a viral infection. By evening time those little suckers were itching so I knocked myself out with Benadryl. When I woke up this morning I decided to count how many I had as they quickly multiplied. I now have almost 60 lesions across my chest and stomach and they are now starting to migrate to my back and pelvic region. The docs at urgent care said they weren't anything to worry about and that it would take 6-12 weeks for the lesions to clear up and that it was going to get worse before it gets better. Gee, I have all the luck!!


  1. Ugh! I'm so sorry - how awful. But, at least you got your blood draw taken care of...

    Hope you feel better soon.

  2. I had that before, it was freaky how many red marks I had all over me. I read somewhere it was called the christmas tree rash. It healed quickly but I have no idea how I ever got it. Hope you feel better soon.

    What a pain all those blood tests sound like. Hope they give you some answers.