Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tomorrorw Couldn't Come Soon Enough!

Tomorrow is the big day and I couldn't be more excited...or anxious. It will be somewhat of a long day but by the time the anesthesiologist pays me a visit my day will fly by. My husband and I have to arrive by 7:30am at which time he has to make love to the plastic cup. They staff comes out and leads him back to "the room." Immature or not, I find this room rather gross. You know what is going on in there and I can bet that most men don't wash their hands afterwards...yuck! The room is adorned with a large plush chair that is covered in protective paper, a tv, and a DVD player. Visitors of this room have a choice of "entertainment" and rumor has it, it is quite the collection. After my husband does his one and only part, they take his sample and begin an hour long process to prep his boys. His boys go through a process called "washing" and this is when all of the semen is removed from the sperm and the sample is set aside. They also begin the selection process where only the best sperm are chosen. At around 8:30 they will take me back into the OR where they will start an IV and the ansthesiologist will come and and start asking me quesions about my medical history. Once the nurse and RE are ready, the anesthesiologist puts me completely out and the procedure starts. A needle is passed through the top of the vagina under ultrasound guidance to get to the ovary and follicles. The fluid in the follicles is aspirated through the needle and the eggs detach from the follicle wall and are sucked out of the ovary. The oocyte-cumulus complex (egg) is pulled from the follicle wall when the fluid is aspirated through the needle. When all of the follicles have been aspirated, the procedure itself is over and I generally wake up in 30 minutes or so and I am monitored closely for about an hour. After the eggs are removed they are brought right into the lab where the sperm are injected individually into the eggs. This injection process is called ICSI. The following morning the eggs are checked for evidence of fertilization. The embryos are cultured in the IVF lab for 3 more days. At this time the biopsy for GCH will take place. While the cells are being analyzed at the lab in New Jersey, the embryos continue to incubate at CNY for 2 more days at which time they are transferred back into my uterus (will elaborate in upcoming post.)

As soon as the drugs wear off tomorrow I will post an update about the retrieval. The only information I will have tomorrow will be the number of eggs collected. Thursday morning they will call me with the fertilization report to let me know how many of the eggs were mature, how many fertilized, and how strong they are. Until then, all I can do is pray!


  1. eeeeekk how exciting!!! I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer that everything goes well! Take a deep breath before and go in there feeling positive! =) Can't wait to hear what's next!!

  2. that picture at the top made me LOL...
    so happy for you! i can't wait to hear how everything goes! wishing you lots of luck tomorrow! have a restful night!